Monday, January 24, 2011

Smart Phones and Web Applications

The web is growing is getting larger at a very rapid pace while previously unused data becomes the cornerstone for the new web. This is the direct result of Smartphones. Smart phones collect worlds of data that are too tedious to be manually captured by a human. Instead all we have to do is allow our phones to post this information. Most of this new functionally comes in the form of location. These changes have been phenomenal. I no longer take an atlas on road trips or even bother to google my stops ahead of time. My phone provides instant data on local businesses. It is directions at my finger tips. This is the largest of the changes included in the expanded web 2.0 article. The internet is not longer a place for data to be passed from person to person. Now it passes from person to phone to phone to person. Our phones have become out web translators. They take what would be a jumble of meaningless data to a human and turn it into simple easy to use forms that are a great help.

On a different note my favorite web application of late is called isle of tune (www.isleoftune.com). It is fascinating that something as abstract as this amazes me. The creator of this app has connected two things that have not connection in real life, traffic and music. This site has entertained me for hours. I have no sense of music so even after spending hours on the site my songs still sounded terrible. It was the one site that I could not help showing it to everyone I encountered. It is musical and amazing. This sort of application is what I love about the web. t is where creativity meets skill. I really would like to code something like this someday. I really think everyone should have a look at it because it is very hard to describe. Basically it allows a used to create a little town that plays music as cars drive around it. There is no point to the site, other then to create, which is amazing. The webs ability to support pure creativity is why it is my favorite thing.

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting when you said “the internet is not longer a place for data to be passed from person to person.” Then you say “now it passes from person to phone to phone to person. “ I have a question though….if the internet is not longer a place for data to be passed from person to person what do phone use to transfer the information? Isn’t it the internet? The way I understood your response was that the phones are their own internet platform or phone platform that doesn’t need internet to transfer the info to people. The internet is everywhere are whatever we use to transfer data is just a tool that help us get information conveniently. I hope I make sense because I’m re-reading my response and it makes some what sense. I think I would explain myself better on person than on writing.

    ReplyDelete